How and when can I travel?
Winners have the choice to either travel in a group as part of a class trip (pupils with accompanying teachers/adults), or individually (pupils only), depending on the decision of parents and teachers. Trips can be up to two consecutive weeks long and should take place between August 2017 and December 2018.
What is the value of my travel tickets?
Each winner will be entitled to a travel ticket worth EUR 350. However, the amount can reach up to EUR 530 in three specific cases:
- For winners who depart from or travel to Cyprus, Malta, Iceland or an outermost region (Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, La Réunion, Mayotte, Saint-Martin, Madeira, Azores and Canary Islands);
- When domestic travel costs to reach the main train station, bus station or airport from which the beneficiary will cross the national border already exceed EUR 100;
- When the trip is a school trip to the twinned class.
What is not included in the value of travel tickets?
Any local transportation that cannot be pre-booked and purchased is excluded from the attributed budget and the CO2 calculations.
Only the public means of transport are covered. This means that transportation such as cars, chartered buses and other private vehicles are not covered. You may of course use them at your own expense.
Travel and cancellation insurances are not covered by the European Commission. The participants and those accompanying them are advised to acquire appropriate health and travel insurance for the whole duration of the trip.
Accommodation, subsistence, insurance, visits or any other expenses related to the trip shall be covered in their entirety by the participants.
What criteria does my trip need to meet?
Trips may not exceed the budget limits. Furthermore, the trips have to meet two additional criteria:
- A limited carbon footprint: The weighted average of the CO2 emissions per kilometre based on the distance travelled with each means of transport may not exceed 200g per passenger per kilometre.
- A reasonable time spent travelling: the ratio between the time spent travelling and the time spent at destination should not exceed 1 to 3 for a trip of maximum three days and 1 to 4 for a trip longer than three days.
EXCEPT: (a) In case the passenger does not mind a higher ratio; (b) When the travel takes time between 10pm and 6 am.
A trade-off is in place between these two criteria. One transport mode may be very fast but more polluting while another may be slow but more environmentally-friendly. In case both criteria cannot be met at the same time, the winners will have to choose another destination, UNLESS:
- The trip is a school trip to an eTwinning partner class;
- They are located in Cyprus, Malta, Iceland or outermost regions (Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, la Reunion, Mayotte, Saint-Martin, Madeira, Azores and Canary Islands).
CO2 Emission: Calculation
The CO2 emissions per passenger per kilometre (abbreviated as pkm) of the different means of transport used for the calculation are:
- Rail: 14g/pkm
- Buses and Coaches: 68g/pkm
- Medium ferries (5000 to 30000 gross tons): 86g/pkm
- Small ferries (less than 5000 gross tons): 258g/pkm
- Airplanes: 285g/pkm
CO2 Emission: Practical Example
If your trip is starting with 30 km by bus, followed by 500 km by plane and ending with 300 km by train, the weighted CO2 profile will be the following:
((30pkm x 68g) + (500pkm x 285g) + (300pkm x 14g)) / (30pkm + 500pkm + 300pkm) = 179g/pkm.
What if I have to cancel a trip or need to modify it?
This is possible depending on the conditions linked to the travel ticket. However, potential cancellation or modification fees will need to come from the beneficiary’s entitlement. There is no extra budget to cover expenditures of this kind. The European Commission will not provide insurance either.
Which transport operators can be used?
The initiative remains completely open. We can select any public transport mode and any operators and lines (private cars and chartered buses excluded). The choice will be made solely based on the destination you choose, your place of departure, the criteria explained above (budget, CO2, travel time vs. time at destination) and the availability.
How much time in advance can my travel tickets be booked?
Travel tickets can only be booked a certain time in advance. The booking time depends per means of transportation and means a ticket can only be booked a certain amount of months in advance prior to the departure date. A summary of the booking times can be found below.
When submitting your travel itinerary, please keep in mind that any combinations of different means of transportation will need to be booked at the same time. This means that the shortest pre-booking time needs to be kept in mind.
Pre-booking limitations per transportation
|Means of transportation||Deadline max of pre-booking|
|Flights, with most airlines||11 months prior to departure|
|iDTGV, Ouigo (French lowcost train)||9 months prior departure|
|Eurostar, Deutsche Bahn, NMBS/SNCB (Belgian Railways), NS (Dutch Railways)||6 months prior departure|
|THALYS, TGV LYRIA, TGV FRANCE-SPAIN, TGV FRANCE-GERMANY, TGV FRANCE-ITALY, TER, RENFE, TRENITALIA||4 months prior departure|
|TGV France, Intercity (France) and British rail||Up to 3 months prior to departure|
Practical example: If your trip is starting with 150 km by TGV (France), followed by 500 km by airplane and ending with 30 km by NS (Dutch Railways), the travel tickets will only be able to be booked 3 months prior to departure corresponding the TGV France, for which the pre-booking time is the shortest.
What do I need prior to submitting the travel request?
- Legal representative authorisation for minors: Prior to submitting the travel request, the school management shall verify that minors’ participation to the trip has been formally authorised by their legal representative.
- Being a winner of the contest: All submissions will be cross-checked with the database of Move2Learn, Learn2Move winners.
- All the required travel information (date of birth, name as appears on travel document, the document number and expiry date) of all participating travelers. In case of a group travel the submitting teacher confirms the final composition of the group by submitting the travel request.